Re: ATSF AAR 40’ Box Panels ?

Tim O'Connor

I think the straight line map is correct for 1946. Ship & Travel came a little later?

Tim O'Connor

On 12/16/2019 6:44 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
Hi Lester-

On the Steam Era Freight Car Web Site (different from this io group) Ed Hawkins has data for almost all post war AAR 40' box cars and has data for these cars, but I can say that the Santa Fe was one of three RRs which had 40' 10'6" IH 6' single door 12 riveted panel boxcars. Santa Fe, Denver & Rio Grande and the Great Northern. The Rio Grande had straight lower side sills (think "Cookie cutter"). The Santa Fe Bx-48? box cars had the one year only Youngstown "upside down" 6/6/5 improved Youngstown steel door, built in 1946 which this model has. For a 1946 car, 4/4 improved Dreadnaught ends and rectangular Stanray roof are correct. Your car is remarkably close to being correct, though I can not say if the ATSF straight line map would be correct for this particular class.
Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 3:06:42 PM PST, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

CB&T Shops produced the Limited Edition Car I purchased in the photo in 2013.  Ends and roof match the prototype photo in the 1946 Car Builder’s Cyc; however, side panels on model are six vs five on the prototype.  Doors also not correct.  My question not having any reference data on the Santa Fe.  Were any cars produced with the number of panels the model has?
Any info. on prototype  cars appreciated.  Thank You for your time and effort to respond in advance.
Lester Breuer

Sterling, Massachusetts