Re: Photo: NJI&I Boxcar 4100

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

Did anyone else notice that the photo of NJI&I is a very crude fake? Blow it up and you will see that the rivets appear to have been added through retouching and the trucks look like they were drawn by hand. It appears that the lettering was added onto a photo of another car. Even the panels are not of uniform width, though this did happen. Perhaps this photo is a mock-up done before the cars were actually built and lettered.

      Sometimes when a photo like this, of the shady side of a car, doesn't have all the detail you wished it did, the lab would "improve" it for you. Both the trucks and the rivet rows clearly look enhanced. I noticed that the reporting mark stripes are not correctly aligned with the vanishing-point angle. All that lettering on the right of the car side, in fact, is probably not in the original negative.

Tony Thompson