Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale

Tom Madden

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM, George Corral wrote:
Has anyone tried these?  Shapeways: Bulk Retainer Valves by K. Kadwell Mfg. Co.
I bought a set of 20 but haven't done anything with them. The back side is clean but the front side has the "frosty" look you get with this process. I expect that will clear up when they are ultrasonically cleaned with Bestine solvent. The material is very brittle and difficult to drill, so the designer has incorporated a stub coming out the bottom for the retainer pipe, with the idea that the modeler will make a butt joint between the stub and the wire retainer pipe. Problem is, the stub may be larger than the diameter of the wire you want to use. I can't get anything in to directly measure the stubs, but comparing them visually with drill shanks, they are about the same diameter as, and certainly no smaller than, a #80 drill, 0.0135".

Tom Madden