Re: Classic Trains on CD

Tim O'Connor

Tony makes an excellent point! - but it reminds me of the Guy Dunscomb collection of
fabulous Southern Pacific photographs that was bequeathed to the Huntington Collection,
and may therefore never be seen again by humans. Perhaps millions of years from now
intelligent life forms will rediscover them buried in a deep underground vault and
wonder "What the heck were they thinking?".

Some museums (like the Huntington) are like the computer joke about "write only memory".

On 12/27/2019 1:18 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Bob Webber wrote:

What is going to happen is that institutions selling photos, drawings and other things digitally will have to increasingly turn to software that blocks attempts to download, copy, and other wise use something.  Which will drive up costs and cut down on  usability, flexibility,  and customer satisfaction.  When some knowingly disregard promises they made, it hurts every body.

   Comments about abuse of licensing and permission are quite correct. But I think Bob is wrong about what institutions "are going to do." In fact, my impression is that many institutions have given up on this issue, and are increasingly posting uncontrolled images on the web. Selling digital images is a VERY low-income idea, and I suspect many are simply deciding to make images available. Otherwise they languish in darkness.

People have said $6 is too much to pay for an 8x10 print.  I'd dearly love to see how they propose to store stock and to visit shows on less.  It can not happen.  Smithsonian charges $50 - or more.

        Of course this is entirely right. But those who charge huge prices, such as the Smithsonian, either believe they can get it because they have great material, or are trying to make images into a "profit center," as business schools faithfully teach you to do. I'd bet the profit is microscopic and shrinking.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts