Re: Other stuff I came across

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Brock [mailto:brockm@brevard.net]
Dave, I'm curious. Any notion of whether the coal mileage was higher or
lower for the other 59%?

Well, yes. The report shows all 100%. I grabbed a sample. I suppose you
now want the rest too?

0-49: 8%
50-99: 10%
100-199: 16%
200-399: 41%
400-599: 21%
600-999: 3%

I'd gather that Sherman Hill is more than 999 miles from the Pochontas coal
belts... even in the dark.

I'm also curious about bauxite. There are photos of
a bauxite train...loaded in box cars no less...going west over
Sherman Hill in the 50s. Wonder what its destination was
and how often this happened?
Bauxite is included in commodity class 311: Aluminum ore. Per the 1%
waybill sample, a full 40% moved 2000-2999 miles by rail (26% in the 200-399
range and 21% in the 400-599 miles range).

Having said that, I turned to the Minerals Report of 1950 and found this
other data: Arkansas produced 98% of the national total of Bauxite
(1,552,047 tons), most of which got refined nearby into Alumina. This sum
was only 43% of the nations consumption. Alumina was refined at 4 plants:
Alcoa's mobile AL. was the largest. They refined imported alumina. Their
East St. Louis plant refined Alumina from Arkansas. The Kaiser plant was in
Baton Rouge, LA. and worked over South American Alumina. Lastly was the
Reynolds plant in Hurricane Creek, Arkansas, which had the largest capacity
but apparently was under utilized. The G.S.A. purchased large quantities
for the national strategic reserve, which in this case was in Arkansas.
Most. but not all, Alumina went into metalitic Aluminum; some went into
abrasives.

The chapter on Aluminum states there were 11 (mostly unnamed) reduction
plants, several of which were inactive (Massena NY., Baden NC., Listerhill
AL.). It also states new plants were being built in Wenatchee WA., Jones
Mills, Ark., Corpus Cristi TX., Chalmette LA., and Klaispell MT.

I do not have the state to state distribution of the Products of mines, but
from the quarterly commodity reports 1947-50 it's clear shipment volume
fluctuated wildly -- 2:1 or 3:1 fluctuations from quarter to quarter.
1Q1950 was in the middle to low end. In this quarter, the largest shipments
of commodity class 311 were from AL - 27.5k tons, Ark - 90k tons, IL - 38k
tons, LA. - 84.8k tons are the 4 largest states of origin and WA - 132.8k
tons was by far the largest state of destination. Again, Quarterly data.

Lastly, from the 1950 Commodity reports from class 1 railroads, the C&S
bridged 95k tons in 1950; the CBQ bridged 219k tons; MP originated 127k tons
(most of which terminated online), received & terminated 316k tons, and
bridged another 381k tons; the UP received & terminated 232k tons in the
same year. No traffic to speak of on the SP, DRGW, or WP. And as I stated
earlier, I was unable to find the damn book so I was unable to obtain the
annual data from the GN, NP, TNO, ATSF, CNW... as I had planned to do,
which, with what I have in hand, would have given me 95+% of the tonnage
moved west of the Missisippi.

At any rate, it appears to me that that photo you saw was indicative of an
ongoing, large volume movement of alumina, no doubt to Washington. The data
suggests the UP had half of the inbound (rail) tonnage to Washington. I
would guess the other half was a CB&Q-GN plus C&S-NP movement.

Dave Nelson