Re: Erie Boxcar red help

Todd Sullivan

And just to add to the discussion, most of the ERIE boxcars I saw during 5+ years of prowling about the E-L Port Jervis Yard were a lot browner than the photo posted.  I suspect the slide in the photo was Kodachrome which shifted colors toward red.

Another thought: this only really matters if you are modeling a new or recently repainted car.  The Northeast was a dirty place in the 1940s and 1950s with lots of steam locos and coal-fired factories and power plants.  Cars darkened pretty quickly in that environment.

Todd Sullivan