Re: Erie Boxcar red help

Corey Fischer

I agree,

 The idea that a paint needs to be exactly “Erie Brown” is ridiculous for an in-service and slightly weathered car. Paint fades and weathers differently. Plenty of examples of this can be found even with the more stable paints of today. Just mix whatever paints you have on stock to get close to that color it. You want different shades of paint on cars from the same road, its more prototypical.

Corey

On Jan 1, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

And just to add to the discussion, most of the ERIE boxcars I saw during 5+ years of prowling about the E-L Port Jervis Yard were a lot browner than the photo posted.  I suspect the slide in the photo was Kodachrome which shifted colors toward red.

Another thought: this only really matters if you are modeling a new or recently repainted car.  The Northeast was a dirty place in the 1940s and 1950s with lots of steam locos and coal-fired factories and power plants.  Cars darkened pretty quickly in that environment.

Todd Sullivan