Steel Boxcar Paint Cycles -- Good and Bad

Bob Chapman

In looking at photos as a guide for weathering, it seems that some roads' steel boxcars tended to look nice, while others tended to look grubby. I'm not talking about routine weathering from road grime and the elements -- I'm thinking more about how often the cars were cycled through the paint shop. For example, from an admittedly small sample of non-builder photos, SR's cars often tended to look relatively fresh in the 50s, suggesting that they were repainted more often. Thus on a recent SR boxcar project, I went with relatively light weathering.

I'm sure there's insight in the group on this. Are there some roads whose steel boxcars often tended to look fresh, and other roads whose cars more frequently looked in need of repaint?

Thanks,
Bob Chapman