From: mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...>
Date: 1/3/20 12:50 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] One-Piece Cast Resin Box Car Bodies

My answer:  nothing.  I've only recently started to encounter one-piece bodies due to my backlog, and frankly I welcome them.  I've actually sold some flat kits when a different manufacturer made a one-piece version of the same car.

But to answer the question, the wall thickness is greater on the one-piece body, as a rule, and I've seen some that had a fair bit of resin on the inside, but not enough to matter in terms of CG.  I put two ounces of weight (fishing weights) in a 40' car, and I think that's enough to overcome the, perhaps, 0.1 to 0.2 ounce of extra resin in the top of the car.  I've weighed several of them, so this is somewhat based on actual data.

I recently took a Dremel to the inside of a one-piece body, one of those where the resin is white, but that was to clean up numerous low nubbies at the bottom edge of the ID that prevented the floor from sitting properly and I couldn't get a file in there.  Did I mention that some of the one-piece bodies also have a ledge at the right point to help the floor sit straight?  That was an issue with some older flat kits sometimes.

Another reason I'm not so worried about extra weight inside the car is that it's common for me to glue a piece of ,125 x .250, or ..250 square, on the inside of the car side at the top to square up the side, while I'm assembling the box.  I'll cement the floor solidly to the bottom edge of the sides later, during final assembly when the floor is painted black and the sides and perhaps ends are different colors but the top edge being straight is the most critical because of the way some car sides of older prototypes meet the roof.

Ron Merrick