Re: Can anyone tell me anything about the "Safcar" running board and step?

Jack Mullen

Yes.
The correct name is "Safkar", made by the Irving Iron Works Co., Long Island City, NY. The open grid is formed by alternating straight and zigzag bars, all running longitudinally, riveted together, forming a distinctive pattern of trapezoidal openings.
Page in the '28 CBCyc shows use as passenger car step treads, mentioned being in use for 8 years. In the '31 Loco Cyc, they're shown as loco running boards and steps. Not found in the '40 CBCyc.
I've wondered about their possible use on freight cars, but don't recall ever seeing anything in print. I have a vague notion that I've seen something of the sort in the real world, long ago. So this photo is a cool find.

I'll try to post an image later.

Jack Mullen