Gondola identification

Ted Schnepf

Hello Everyone,

Gondola's are the forgotten railroad cars.  Very little had been written about them and there are so many variations.

I want to ID a mill type gon.  Its inside  length is 47' 6" and inside height about 3' 9". The sides have a straight sill (no fish belly) with 12 panels and 11 side stakes.  The fixed ends are dreadnought.  The car is riveted construction.

I started by looking at PRR books, but no match  (a G31D might be close).  Mr Kresse's  book about C&O gons show one of the correct general length, but has taller sides for use in coal hauling.  Thought about a USRA  mill gon, but doesn't seem to match.

In most freight car books, gons are very limited in space covered.

Can anyone identify my roughly 49 foot, 11 side stake, riveted gondola?

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353