Re: Rutland flatcar with trailer load

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Marty and Friends,

The article was indeed by Richard Hendrickson, and is found in the August 1993 RAILMODEL JOURNAL. Richard said this was the only close prototype he could find for the Athearn 40' flatcar, due to it having 11 stake pockets on each side.

John Nehrich used the same flatcar to build flat cars and gondolas for the NEB&W (which is almost a prototype line in its own right). His gondolas were based on Rutland 2700-series flats rebuilt as gondolas 4500-4505. His article in the the January 1986 MODEL RAILROADER.

Restored Rutland flat car 2777 is at Steamtown.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 7:28 AM Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:
Interesting shot. I don't have the article, but back in the early days of prototype rolling stock modeling (John Nehrich or perhaps even Richard?) did an article on reworking an Athearn flat to more closely resemble the Rutland car.
Paul Dolkos had a car based on this article (built for him by Tom Underwood) on his old B&M layout that I acquired a few years ago (see http://centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com/2012/04/home-for-orphans.html) when Paul lost the true faith and started modeling Baltimore....He felt a Rutland flat would have been out of place in Baltimore ... <g>

Marty McGuirk

On January 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Here is an interesting image. Shows Rutland 2700 flatcar with two short Freuhauf trailers, being delivered in Des Moines IA. I don’t have a date, but would say circa 1920.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org