Re: Rutland flatcar with trailer load

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Don,

Your recollections are very interesting. I cannot agree or disagree with your assessment of the current Steamtown musuem. I do know that it has been something of a political football in recent years, and nearly faced closure. I know nothing of the New York location you mentioned, but do think the Scranton site while Scranton is hardly a tourist mecca) has certain access advantages, being on a major N/S freeway, plus it has the advantage of a very nice piece of track for their trains to play on.

When we visited Steamtown a few years back, my sweetheart and I stayed in the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel. Cushy and expensive, but definitely a class act, and a worthy reuse of a noble old building.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 7:26 AM Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Garth Groff wrote:

Walt,

I have an October 1958 ORER. Rutland still had 26 of the 2700-series in revenue service, and I don't know how many in company service.

The Green Mountain Railroad dates from 1964, so I have no information about it (though some photos of recent vintage). Since this line was
owned by Nelson Blount, also the founder of Steamtown in its original incarnation, there is no wonder how Rutland 2777 ended up in the
modern Steamtown museum collection.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

    This is absolutely correct Garth. The only thing I don't recall, and can't find my roster to check, is how many of the #2700 flats the GMRC
ended up with as I believe the Vermont Rwy. got a few as well. The GMRC also got at least one of the older, straight side sill Rutland flat cars.
I knew Nelson Blount and drove within 2 miles of his place on my way home in August of 1967 when he was killed. The GMRC and Steamtown
were totally separated  shortly thereafter with Robert W. Adams heading up the GMRC employee group that acquired the railroad from Ne;son's
estate. Over the years I also worked for the GMRC as a relief passenger trainman, later as relief fireman for Steamtown for which later still I
served as the insurance agent. The falling out that occurred between the State of Vermont and Steamtown in the late 1970's is a shame from
which I do not feel Steamtown has ever recovered, nor have I been at all impressed by the many losses and lack of very much real progress
since it was moved and became the Scranton Scrapyard. Others may view it differently but that's the way I see it. If it was going to move I
believe strongly that the Kingston, NY choice also contemplated would have been a far better choice in the long run.

Cordially, Don Valentine