Re: Another Athearn 40' Flat Prototype [Was Rutland flatcar with trailer load]

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Dave and Friends,

I just found a photo of a similar GT flat car in TRAIN SHED CYCLOPEDIA NO. 35 (reprint of the 1919 CBD), page 326. Grand Trunk 69611 has a lettering layout that mirrors the car on at North Conway, though a bit simpler. This car depicted even has the little up-slope to the very end of the side sills. Sadly, it has only 10 stake pockets. I would not be surprised if this was a standard, but evolving, CN design ordered in similar lots for their subsidiary lines, as well as possibly for the CN itself. Maybe our Canadian members can shed more light on these cars.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:53 PM Dave Parker via Groups.Io <spottab=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think the MW just above the left-hand grab provides a pretty clear clue concerning company service versus interchange.

Whether the paint scheme actually represents a prototype car from "back in the day", I can't say.  The history of the GT and CN in northern New England is fairly convoluted, further muddying the waters.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA