Re: Help with a SP box car

Tony Thompson

Clark Propst wrote:

At CCB (Great event had a wonderful time) I purchased a mini-kit from 'National Scale Car' for a SP box car, series 83420-83739. Kit basics are doors, lower tracks and decals. The only photo of a SP car in the instructions was taken later in life with larger roadname stenciling and lowered placards. I want to model the car for the late 40s, so I need to know the placement of the placard and route card board on the Superior door. Also there are three lettering choices on the decal sheet. Large roadname, smaller roadname for between the stripes above and below the roadname and number, and just initials for above the numbers between the stripes. These cars were built in 11-40. Which option would be appropriate?  From what photos I have I'm leaning towards just initials. I really need a photo showing the doors tho...I've got it ready for paint except for the doors.

   Clark, I will send you a photo off-list. When built, they would have had just initials inside the stripes, but by the 1950s would have been repainted, doubtless with the spelled-out road name, adopted in 1946. So for the late '40s you can choose which you like. The cars were built with steel running boards, so you need to include that. I can tell which car numbers had which running boards, if you like.

Tony Thompson