Re: General Question ... Was - Re: UoK Permalinks

Dave Parker

My understanding, and I lack a primary reference, is that national "pooling" began in earnest during WWII due policies designed to enhance efficiency in war-time traffic.  [Pooling also took place briefly during the period of USRA control, and it was not popular among the railroads].  Thus, in the 1920s and 1930s (irrespective of the Depression), consists were very home-road heavy, and with a distinctly regional flavor (e.g., lots of PRR and NYC cars in New England, but very few SP or UP).  The late Tim Gilbert (of Gilbert-Nelson fame) documented this in some detail for his home road  -- the B&M.

If I had to guess, I would say that this regionality might have been more pronounced on the coasts, and less so on "bridge" roads in the middle of the country, but I don't recall seeing any data one way or the other.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA