Re: Caboose restrictions c1914

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 04:56 PM, Rupert Gamlen wrote:
The report includes the legislation from Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Arkansas, Maine, Michigan, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Virginia, New Hampshire and Washington.
I wish I could remember where I read the info I cited earlier (requirement for steel centersill and a 26' minimum body length) which I recall was imposed by the ICC, but now that I read the above list, all seven states the Soo Line operated in are included, so it may have been simply based on state laws. However, the time period seems too early; The Soo didn't begin their rebuild program until 1924, and it continued until at least 1928. It is possible, I suppose, that implementation of the state laws was delayed by lawsuits by the railroads challenging the constitutionality of the state laws, which would require further research.

But this begs the question, what is the purpose of tracking down the source of the regulations? It seems the BRHS has published a lot of information over the years that should allow the type and construction of the cabooses in service at any given time period in any given local to be pretty well documented, and that's really what matters; if there are photos of cars running, that is what was running.

I suppose that's the reason why I've never put a lot of effort into documenting the reason for the rebuilding of the Soo Line fleet beyond the fact that I know it was completed before my ear of interest.

Dennis Storzek