Re: CNW "X" door trap cars

Charlie Vlk

John,
Thanks for adding this to the knowledge base.   I always thought the X cars were captive only between Proviso and Chicago.  I wonder if they extended to other major terminals such as the Twin Cities and Omaha?
Charlie Vlk

On Jan 18, 2020, at 8:55 AM, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

We've discussed these cars in the past, but several of Jack Delano's photo captions at the Library of Congress add depth to the story.  I just hope that they did a good job of tying down the loaded hand carts.  A clear photo of the loading can be found here:  Chicago, Illinois. The Chicago and Northwestern Railroad runs a special service in these freight cars marked "X" between Chicago and Milwaukee. The cars are loaded with goods in proper order on these hand trucks. The cars are sent on to Milwaukee, tr

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA