Photo: Unloading Fruit From A Livestock Car

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Unloading Fruit From A Livestock Car

Circa 1920 photo of another use for a livestock car:

https://calisphere.org/item/6b72bf20ae08e9ac37dc6518e2fdb783/

Caption: "Workers from Richmond-Chase canning company unloading crates of fruit from railroad cars."

Use the slider to enlarge the photo.

The car belongs to Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railway, which I believe was a Southern Pacific subsidiary in Texas and Louisiana.

The car tag is almost readable and maybe reads "This car was ____ ____ and disinfected".

The Richmond-Chase Company became one of the primary fruit canning giants in Santa Clara County, CA. The company maintained four major packing and canning plants in San Jose, and had other agricultural operations in central California, as well as owning several orchards.

Plant, circa 1920:

http://digitalcollections.sjlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/sjsurc/id/21

Shows several boxcars (at least one SP) apparently loaded with empty cans.

Use the slider to enlarge the photo.

I can't determine if the SP livestock car has a load of cans.

Shipping ready-to-fill cans was not uncommon at one time:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017782124/

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group