Re: Photo: Unloading Fruit From A Livestock Car

Doug Paasch

Looking at the photo closer, it appears to be a heavy paper liner.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Doug Paasch via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 4:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Unloading Fruit From A Livestock Car

Nice photos Bob.  Thanks for a great tidbit of info regarding an alternate use of stock cars.  Regarding shipping empty cans in stock cars, its seems unlikely but I’d never say never.  As you can see in the third photo where men are unloading cans from a box car, there is a heavy canvas (or something) liner in the box car to keep the cans clean.  I would think a stock car would be very difficult to keep clean from dust, if nothing else, even with a canvas liner (although I know they used stock cars for shipping grain in a pinch by lining them with plastic sheeting; however, grain is expected to contain a certain amount of dirt content).  My dad worked for Continental Can Company and told me that any contamination, like dirt or dust, was sufficient grounds for the consignee to reject the cans, so the can plant was VERY careful about keeping cans clean in shipment.  That’s why I doubt that stock cars were ever used, just because of the wind factor and the difficulty in keeping dirt/dust from blowing into the car.  But if anyone comes across a picture of a stock car, lined sufficiently to carry cans, I’d sure like to see it.

Doug Paasch