Re: ARA / AAR Standard Letters and Figures for Freight Car Marking

Tony Thompson

Charlie Vlk wrote:

I misunderstood the point of the blog….I thought the “AAR” lettering was as adopted by the SP and the lettering below was a further variation.
I would be interested in seeing ARA / MCB full sets of characters and numbers and believe that they existed even if they did not appear in the Annual Proceedings.  As far as I am aware no other “Railroad Roman” freight car stencil drawings have surfaced and the L&P drawings refer to “ARA Standard” lettering without any drawing number reference.

    I have seen one reference to "AAR Manual" for the complete character set drawing. I have never seen any edition of the Manual, but Guy Wilber may have one -- or know of one.

Tony Thompson