Re: PRR X28A

Schleigh Mike

Hi Ron & Group!

My October 1958 ORER shows 2921 X28A cars in service in the 120014-125000 block.  Can't say much about the CK but that is certainly a solid number of cars to be around.  There is no 'qualifier' noted for these cars as if they might have been limited in their assignments.

Hope this helps.

Regards from western Penna, Grove City, where winter appears to be coming back.

Mike Schleigh

On Saturday, January 25, 2020, 01:39:38 PM EST, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

I started on an F&C kit for a PRR X28A, with AB brake and Youngstown doors.  There's actually one photo on rr-picturearchives, showing PRR 121861 in what might be the SK scheme, can't see the side clearly enough to tell but at all events this is a paint scheme from the 50s after the end of the CK scheme.

But looking at the X28 page at prr.railfan.net, which I use frequently, it appears that the quantity of X28A was diminishing rapidly in the late 50s.  So first, I'm wondering if the photo of 121861 might be just a publicity photo and very few of these cars were ever painted in this scheme.  Second, if I paint this model in CK, how likely were these cars to be found in interchange service by the late 50s?  I model a Kansas secondary main line that got some East Coast manufactured goods traffic but also had a lot of 40' cars sitting around waiting for grain shipments during certain seasons of the year.  It was not a bridge route.

Basically, I'm trying to decide exactly how likely it would be to see one of these cars in Kansas during this period.  I could just as easily pass this model on to someone who would be more at home with it.  I've got several other PRR rebuild boxcars in the works now that are probably more appropriate.

Ron Merrick