Re: Photos: 140 Foot Tank On 3 Flatcars

Jack Mullen

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Can anyone see whose flat cars they are? I can't read any of the cars.
No luck, the scans are rather low-rez and details just disappear into pixel legos as I zoom in.  What may be reporting marks  appear just left of center of the left-hand car in the first photo. That area resolves to what seem to be three characters.
This car, closest to the camera in the two outdoor photos, seems to have a cast steel body, which brings the Commonwealth CNW/PRR/SP 44' 200 ton cars that have been modeled in several scales to mind. However, unless it's an illusion caused by photo lens and angle, the car appears somewhat longer, and the trucks seem to have the proportions of 5'6"+ wb, rather than the 5'0" of at least the PRR and C&NW cars.  The truck sideframes are flat-topped, lacking the characteristic arch of the 5'0" 100 ton trucks.  So maybe a similar cast car, but say 47-50' length?
Who else had similar cars? NYC and D&H come to mind, but I don't have hard data or photos at hand.
The car bearing the other end of the load, closest to the camera, is different - riveted construction, and with stake pockets, which we don't often see on very heavy-duty flats.  The welding flare obscures what I think are the marks and number.
Hope these clues help somebody recognize these...

BTW, it's not " William Boiler & Manufacturing Company", but "William Bros...", and Bros is a name, not the abbreviation for brothers. They also made snowplows, some for railroads.

Jack Mullen