From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 7:56 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR X28A

Ron;

Yes. Those X29, and X28A that did not get chosen for the X29B, X29D, X29E, X29F, and X29G rebuilding campaigns were being set aside for scrapping, from the late fifties thru sixties, when they were scrapping tens of thousands of less-than-useful size or condition cars. There were thousands of X28A and X29 in deadlines awaiting either rebuilding or the scrap heap. Obviously condition was everything, but numbers overwhelmed need for standard 40' box cars.

Yards like Pitcairn and E Altoona were choked with deadline cars. There are photos in some books, but it was nothing like in-person.

All these choices led to the PRR freight car shortage of the early sixties.

An X28A in SK would have been extremely unusual.

Elden Gatwood