Does anyone use resin brake components?

Tom Madden

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:51 AM, Ron Merrick wrote:
I've taken to substituting more and more plastic parts on resin kits lately, like brake gear and roofwalks, where they're appropriate.  The one-piece F&C cars have meant that I don't need to find plastic roofs or ends, which I've even done on some of the more modern Sunshine prototypes.
An interesting point, which I wonder about every time I demold detail sheets for Resin Car Works kits. Does anyone actually use those resin brake cylinders, air reservoirs and triple valves included on the sheets of detail parts in many resin kits? They are very difficult to extract from a mold without tearing either the mold or the detail sheet. It's like trying to pull billiard balls through buttonholes. My defect rate on detail sheets is roughly 10%, compared to 1% to 2% for car bodies and frames/underframes. It keeps the kit price down when you don't have to buy parts from another manufacturer, but if those three components are only placeholders that give the illusion of completeness to the kit, and no one actually uses them, it might be time to reconsider.

Tom Madden