Re: Does anyone use resin brake components?

Bruce Smith

Tom,

They go in the trash because the injection molded plastic sets I have have much better fidelity. Indeed the resin parts are made worse when things like the reservoir come in multiple parts and have to be assembled.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Jan 27, 2020, at 2:03 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I have rarely used the resin brake appliances myself - Usually on kits where
there is a specialty item, like the twin-piston cylinder on the R-70-2 kit, or
a Royal F slack adjuster. It would not bother me if the appliances were omitted
from the kits - and the brake housing and brake wheel either, if those are not
difficult to procure somewhere else.

Tim O'

On 1/27/2020 2:50 PM, Tom Madden via Groups.Io wrote:

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:51 AM, Ron Merrick wrote:
I've taken to substituting more and more plastic parts on resin kits lately, like brake gear and roofwalks, where they're appropriate.  The one-piece F&C cars have meant that I don't need to find plastic roofs or ends, which I've even done on some of the more modern Sunshine prototypes.
An interesting point, which I wonder about every time I demold detail sheets for Resin Car Works kits. Does anyone actually use those resin brake cylinders, air reservoirs and triple valves included on the sheets of detail parts in many resin kits? They are very difficult to extract from a mold without tearing either the mold or the detail sheet. It's like trying to pull billiard balls through buttonholes. My defect rate on detail sheets is roughly 10%, compared to 1% to 2% for car bodies and frames/underframes. It keeps the kit price down when you don't have to buy parts from another manufacturer, but if those three components are only placeholders that give the illusion of completeness to the kit, and no one actually uses them, it might be time to reconsider.

Tom Madden

Sterling, Massachusetts