Re: Book of historical drawings; is it worth scanning?

Jeff Eggert

I'll second the use of a DSLR for digitizing a book such as this.  A simple copy stand and a 20+ MP DSLR can generally do well for most items up to 11x17 in size or so, depends on how fine the printing is.

Relating this to steam era freight cars, I have a homemade stand and have used it to digitize over 4,000 car forging drawings the CNWHS has.  We have deemed these drawings to be of minimal value (as far as we know no one has ever asked for them, ever) and felt traditional flatbed scanning was too time consuming or feeder scanning wouldn't work.  They were taking up prime file cabinet space before, now they can be relegated to deeper depths of the archives storage.  A small resolution sample is attached.

Jeff Eggert