Re: Stakes For Lumber Loads: Hardwood Vs. Softwood

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bob,

Since hardwood has usually been more valuable/expensive than softwoods, I would assume that hardwood stakes (of oak, for example) wouldn't be used unless there was a need for high strength stakes.  Most lumber mills use whatever is readily available, which is usually what they are sawing.  I've seen saplings used, but mostly in modern times.  It costs money to to cut and plane wood for a stake, so 'why bother?' seems to be the mantra of modern cost accountants.  My recollection is that all of the stakes I saw while in the PacNW 1957-1962 were rough sawn softwoods.

Todd Sullivan
in Rowlett, TX