Re: Car End Data

Jack Mullen

As several posters have noted, the practice of stencilling data on car ends didn't end after the requirement was dropped, but the content changed over time.  In the postwar steam era,  a quick review of builder's photos suggests that not all railroads used end data, but an apparent majority did.  Of those that did, most included wheel type, such as the common "1-W WROT STL WHLS" (which is seen in several different forms of abbreviation.)  Other items seem to be noted only when they differ from usual practice.  In the 40s and 50s, long travel springs seem to be listed most often, with specialty draft gear or foundation brake components seen occasionally. Roller bearings are seen stenciled on the end in one of the photos Jim Dick posted, but I seem to recall some railroads marking that data on the cars side near a truck.
As another poster said, photos will be your best guide - when and if suitable views can be found.  Otherwise, don't sweat it.  From personal observation both of steam-era cars after the steam era as well as more modern cars, grime can obscure or obliterate such markings on cars in service.  It's also my impression that the data stenciling was often eliminated when cars were repainted.
Jack Mullen