Re: Car End Data

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

I believe lettering on truck bolsters to be very common.  One big reason.  When cars derail, you need to match trucks to each car.

I remember investigating derailments in the 1970's and all trucks had car numbers, and matching trucks to cars, trying to determine the cause of the pileup.

I assume my predecessors 20 years earlier were doing the same thing at derailments.

retired railroad civil engineer.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 07:51:29 AM CST, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

Stenciling the reporting marks and number on the center sill is pretty visible on tank cars, and that data is almost always included in the tank car decals I've seen.  But I also recall it as being really useful when cars were downgraded to work service.  The original number often remained undisturbed in that case, so it was a great way to track where a car came from.  Too bad I didn't record more of those....

But in the steam era or a few years after, I don't recall ever seeing the car number stenciled on the outside of the truck frame.  I agree it was sometimes stenciled on at least one side of the bolster, but I'm not sure even how common that was.

Ron Merrick
_._,_._,_