Re: Union Pacific Stock Car colors - FCR to Yellow?

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Dick,

Good call on the journal boxes. On most roads yellow or silver usually indicated a car with roller bearings inside an older style journal box with a lid, often a conversion. I'm would be reasonably certain that was so of the UP cars, though documentation is always needed to be sure.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 12:59 AM Dick Harley via Groups.Io <dick.harley4up=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

On the UP Freight Car Data portion of my SmugMug site is a gallery with a 3-page spreadsheet of UP Stock Car Data.
https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-FRT-DATA

On the right side of the second page are three columns for Body Color - pre and post 1940.

It's been years since I built that spreadsheet, and I do not recall if I ever determined a pattern to the color choice, though there probably was one.
I guess determining that pattern is now "left as an exercise for the student."  May be solid versus roller bearing journals, but I've got too much other stuff to do.

Let us know if anyone figures out something.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA