Re: Union Pacific Stock Car colors - FCR to Yellow?

Tim O'Connor

Same source - Terry Metcalfe's UP freight cars book. 1st edition, published 1989.
The comments in the book seem anecdotal and not all classes are covered so I take
it with a grain of salt. I almost -always- try to find a photo before painting in
any case...

On 2/6/2020 1:54 PM, Dick Harley via Groups.Io wrote:
Tim,

Where did you get the data about, "All of the S-40-12 cars were delivered in yellow." ?

Or, "In 1958, the decision was made to paint NON-roller bearing stock cars freight car red so
only 'high speed' cars with roller bearings would be yellow." ?

The non-roller bearing S-40-12s were UP #46800 - 46999.  Photos of that series are apparently scarce, but I have a photo of #46863D (Bob's Photo FUP20-A, San Diego, 4-'57) that is in FCR with a reweigh date of 10-55.
My spreadsheet also says those car sides were FCR, which agrees with UP drawing 303-C-10600, rev.A dated 6-12-50 (available at Colorado RR Museum).

The non-roller bearing S-40-13 class built in 1951-'52 also had FCR sides (Metcalfe book).

After a quick look, I can't find any NON-roller bearing UP stock cars painted with Armour Yellow sides.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Sterling, Massachusetts