Re: D&H Flat

Daniel A. Mitchell

Nope!

I’m no D&H expert. I was referring to the ECW HO plastic KIT (what was being discussed), not any prototype. We are NOT discussing the D&H #16153, a more conventional 4-truck 8-axle car.

The 4-truck HO model ECW produced was offered as BOTH a PRR F38 and a D&H car. I suspect they were the same, except for the length of the main deck.

Their part no.4700 is the D&H model,  a 12-axle 4-truck car. I have no idea if it even has a prototype, D&H or other, but it exists as a model.

I have a Railworks PRR F38 and the ECW 4-truck flat. They are virtually identical except for the deck-length and end platforms. Hey both have 12 axles and four trucks.

Here, copied off an eBay listing are photos of BOTH versions.

Dan MItchell
==========

On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:41 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Um Dan,

Nope. D&H #16153 bears almost no resemblance to the PRR F38. The D&H car has 4 trucks, true, but they are 2-axle and not 3-axle. The body is welded, true, but the D&H body is full-length, with no end platforms. The D&H car is broadly similar to the PRR F34 but is not the same as that car either.

So, let's review...

D&H 16153 (no known kit)

PRR F34 (Athearn, Bachmann, F&C) - 187.5 ton capacity (later increased to 200 tons), 8 axle flat

ECW kit #4700 - PRR F38 - 250 ton 12 axle heavy duty flat

ECW kit 4800 - 90 ton depressed center flat car

As you can see, these are three VERY different cars. The D&H car bears NO resemblance to the PRR F38 other than being multi-trucked with span bolsters. On close examination of the D&H car, it appears to be similar to but a bit longer and without the obvious cast body flange of the pre WWII era GSC car (PRR F34, CNW, SP, etc...).

Bottom line, unless there is physical evidence to the existence of an ECW model of this D&H flat car, I'm going to remain skeptical that such a thing ever existed.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL