From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 5:47 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] High and Wide ops was D&H Flat

Outstanding that you caught that train Brian! The spaced out loads may have had something
to do with bridge loading limits, perhaps?

On 2/8/2020 6:35 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:

I once saw a train on the SP Houston-Dallas line that had 6 heavy duty flat cars at the head of the train. They were separated from each other by boxcars, and each had a large electrical transformer. Here’s a shot of one; N&W 70182, plus three together.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>
Date: Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 5:09 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] High and Wide ops was D&H Flat

Dan,

Precisely!  While large loads could be moved in regular freights, "high and wide" loads often required special handling and therefore were often accumulated and moved in a single train. On the stretch of the PRR I model, the Columbia and Port Deposit branch, from Perryville MD, through Columbia PA and on to Enola, this H&W train was typically run on Sunday morning. That makes sense as it was the lightest traffic day of the week, and therefore the low speed and occasional stops to check clearance wouldn't mess up the rest of the railroad. There was also a spot at "Midway siding" where the tracks were set farther apart, to allow H&W trains to pass each other. i plan too accumulate a train of H&W loads and then run it once every 10-14 ops sessions.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL