Re: D&H Flat

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Hear hear! Those are spectacular castings at very reasonable prices. I wish I knew
what the heck they were used for! What does a "blooming mill stand" do? Were these
things highly unusual (i.e. extremely low production numbers) or were they objects
that wore out and needed to be replaced?

Tim -- A blooming mill does the first heavy rolling of ingots, reducing them in cross-section to what are called blooms. According the roll stands (as in the part you reference) are not only large but have to be very strong. I would say they probably don't really "wear out" but new mills do get installed or  old ones modified.

Tony Thompson