Re: CGW 1923 Box Cars

Ray Breyer

Looking through their 1923 and 1932 diagram books, all of the CGW's single sheathed boxcars (except for their 1914-built Fowlers) had radial roofs. That's confirmed by the few photos I have of their single sheathed cars.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:04:30 AM CST, golden1014 via Groups.Io <golden1014@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

I was going through RP Cyc No. 18 last night and was surprised to read that CGW 1923 ARA single-sheathed box cars came in at least two varieties.  I read that a whole series of cars was delivered with Murphy roofs and 7-8 Murphy ends.  However, one of the photos referenced of the series with Murphy roofs seems to show a car with a round roof.

Are there any CGW experts on board that can confirm if CGW indeed had a series of cars with 7-8 ends and Murphys roofs?

If this is true, a simple roof replacement on the F&C model will yield a nice CGW car at a reasonable prices (not Sunshine prices).

Thanks a Bunch,

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

RPM Blog: https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/