Union Oil 76 paint scheme

Norm Buckhart

Tony - I was told that the real one was painted up for display at the New York World’s Fair - so a one off.  Uncle Jerry weigh in here.  Norm Buckhart

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Tony Thompson" <tony@...>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Union Oil 76 paint scheme
Date: February 11, 2020 at 3:05:19 PM PST

     Years ago, a couple of the HO scale manufacturers of tank cars offered Union Oil cars in a dark blue paint scheme with an orange 76 emblem (the company colors). Several people, including no less than Richard Hendrickson, pronounced this a bogus scheme, with bright colors to attract modelers.
      But recently in browsing old issues of _Model Railroader_ from the early 1950s, I found the photo below in an Athearn ad of 1952 (they offered this scheme on a metal tank car model) -- and note the astronomical price. Can anyone supply more information about how widely used this scheme was?

Tony Thompson
tony@...