Southern LC "Boxcar" With Vent?

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Good friends,

While digitizing my old negatives, I ran across this photo of Southern 50' PS-1 34242 shot in Charlottesville circa 1987. If I read George Elwood's Fallen Flags web site correctly this is not a boxcar at all, but a covered hopper (type LC, note the roof hatches). Photos on Elwood's site show these cars were often covered in some sort of white powder, which I suspect is kaolin.

According to Ed Hawkins' PS-1 article in RMJ 1995, there were no original Southern PS-1s with this number, so it must be a conversion / renumbering. These are not listed my October 1958 ORER. Can anyone comment on whether these cars were converted during our period of interest (as in 1961 or before)?

Also of interest is what appears to be a small end vent (see the partial view). I see this on other converted PS-1s on the Fallen Flags site. Is this indeed a vent, and to what purpose?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆