Re: Southern LC "Boxcar" With Vent?

Rich C

No problem, Garth. I model 3 era's in particular, mostly 1955 though

Rich Christie

On Friday, February 14, 2020, 05:24:51 PM CST, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Rich,

Thanks for settling the conversion date as past our time frame, and confirming my notion about kaolin. I also photographed a different car here in Charlottesville around the same time, Southern 55412. It has what appears to be an 8' main door and a 6' plug auxiliary door, and again four hatches, but no vent. The ends are Improved Dreadnaught. Since I now know these are past our time frame, I will decline sending it as an attachment.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 6:13 PM Rich C via Groups.Io <rhcdmc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Garth, Those were converted in the 60s for Kaolin clay service. Most of these cars had vents on the ends right below the roof.

There were two series' of these particular cars 34000-34124 and 34200-34299. Additionally there were exterior post box cars in the 34300-34424.

I did notice some smaller side vents on some of these cars, nothing was consistent except the cars with the end vents.

Many photos here:

On Friday, February 14, 2020, 12:48:21 PM CST, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Good friends,

While digitizing my old negatives, I ran across this photo of Southern 50' PS-1 34242 shot in Charlottesville circa 1987. If I read George Elwood's Fallen Flags web site correctly this is not a boxcar at all, but a covered hopper (type LC, note the roof hatches). Photos on Elwood's site show these cars were often covered in some sort of white powder, which I suspect is kaolin.

According to Ed Hawkins' PS-1 article in RMJ 1995, there were no original Southern PS-1s with this number, so it must be a conversion / renumbering. These are not listed my October 1958 ORER. Can anyone comment on whether these cars were converted during our period of interest (as in 1961 or before)?

Also of interest is what appears to be a small end vent (see the partial view). I see this on other converted PS-1s on the Fallen Flags site. Is this indeed a vent, and to what purpose?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆