Re: Virginia Chemical Tank Cars

mopacfirst

I have one of those.  (It's not here right now.)  I don't recall the 'cannisters' being that heavy, but I generally ran the car empty because it looked better that way.  I think they were just called 'one-ton containers'.  Googling that produces an article in the AWWA Journal from 1927, so the containers go back at least that far.  They were definitely still in use past the end of this list.

The aluminum model ones were a little too roundy at the ends for my taste, but the bulge in the heads is pretty accurate.

Ron Merrick