Re: chlorine cannister flats (was Virginia Chemical Tank Cars)

Tim O'Connor

I have numerous photos of these cannister flat cars, and they are always loaded with
their cannisters. The precise style of cannisters does vary - perhaps related to the
commodity, or time period? They all have 15 cannisters in my photos.

Was ACF the builder of all these cars?

Tim O'

On 2/19/2020 2:45 PM, James E Kubanick wrote:
When I lived out East during the 1980's there was a small water treatment plant in Lansdale PA that still received these cars. I believe that the cars were returned with empty canisters aboard. I never saw a car without them, but practices may vary - especially during our timeframe.

Jim Kubanick

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 8:24:24 PM EST, Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

One of these canister cars was the basis of a scratchbuilding article in Model Railroader way back in the early 1950s.  The article was republished in a 'reprint' collection called "Build Your Own Model Cars and Locos."  I still have my tattered copy from some some 60 years back.  Neat stuff even now!  The model was largely brass, called a "chlorine car," carried 14 canisters, and was lettered for Penna. Salt Mfg. (PSMX 1011).  This car is listed in my copy of the January 1946 ORER.

Bob's Photo has sold a couple different images of this type of car.

Regards from Grove City, Penna. where winter is creeping back----Mike Schleigh

Sterling, Massachusetts