Re: Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

One possibility is coils of wire on large spools turned sideways. I've seen, or seen photos, of coils like this enclosed in boards that were banded around the wooden edges of the spools with metal straps. If any of you have Gregg's TRAINSHED CYCLOPEDIA No. 36 (or the 1919 CAR BUILDER'S DICTIONARY), look on page 1112, figure 93. This diagram is for large boiler sections, but the loading principle is similar and is the closest I can find.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:27 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

A photo from the Kansas Historical Society:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51765

Click on the photo to enlarge it, then click on the "Enlarge" button to further enlarge it.

Caption: "Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe manifest train (a fast freight train hauling perishables or livestock) with caboose ATSF 1810 brining up the rear of the train. This photograph was taken in the high desert of California near the Mohave River near Victorville, California by R. C. Bradley for AT&SF."

Does anyone know what are the loads on the six flat cars ahead of the three tank cars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA