Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Rob for finding that. I had no idea wood pipe was still being manufactured in 1942.

I imagine that the war had a lot to do with it! :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 2/21/2020 10:31 AM, mopacfirst wrote:
That's the most plausible explanation I've heard so far.

Comparing the load to the flatcar says these things are about 4', maybe 4'-6" max, in diameter.  That's a reasonable size for water piping.  Two to a car longitudinally says they're 20' long more or less, which was and is a common length for joints of pipe.

I found a 1942 catalog of wood pipe which claimed extensive use, even at that date.  The war probably boosted its use a bit. http://www.waterworkshistory.us/tech/Pipe/1942WoodPipe.pdf
Not incidentally, they also built water tanks, which if I recall correctly had some use on railroads when they used those external combustion locomotives.

Ron Merrick, piping engineer
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*