Re: Fw: [RealSTMFC] Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Bruce A. Metcalf

On 2/21/20 7:53 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:

It is true the details are not clear enough, but to my eyes it looks like there are eight per car, arranged 4 long by 2 wide. each of the eight load items appears to have the wood secured with two dark black bands
Aha! Now I know what these look like. I think they are bundles of untreated ties ready to be put into the creosote retorts.

I lived in Chattanooga when they still had a creosoting plant. Ties, line poles, and what not were bundled so they would nearly fill the cylindrical tanks. Any number of them would be rolled in on wee four-wheel carts, the end cap bolted on, and the creosote pumped in and out using pressure and vacuum. Stinky, but effective.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Cheers,
/ Bruce /