Re: SP&S Large Reporting Marks—Date of Introduction

Allan Smith

Of all the photos I have been able to download from the internet, I found SP&S 11242 Date V-1-58 Straight SP&S and 11287 Date v-5-58 straight SP&S. These are the earliest photos I have found with the large SP&S, both with the straight SP&S. All the photos I have seen of the slant SP&S are 1960 or later. That doesn't mean there aren't any out there, it means I haven't found any. Hope this helps some..

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Saturday, February 29, 2020, 11:21:47 AM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The Intermountain 10-0 IH 12 panel box car is correct for the SP&S 40 foot car (built 1949)

On 2/29/2020 1:13 PM, Don DeLay via Groups.Io wrote:

The large lettering with periods after the initials went both diagonal and straight line. The smaller lettering also made it onto some of the 50' cars too (SP&S 14241 50' DD boxcar in June 1967 Jim Parker photo).

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts