"Dedicated" freight car service

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Folks;

The more I dig into the PRR box car fleet, the more I see of cars in dedicated service, and not just auto and auto parts service.  These other cars do not always show up in ORERs (which still have a LOT), but in photo collections like the Hagley Museum.

PRR was in the habit of photographing cars when they were changed or re-fitted for a new service.  Like this one:

https://digital.hagley.org/PRR_12085?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=781f99ec63aeaca1d03e&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=0&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=6

For those with a lot of knowledge on particular roads, do you know if a lot of this was going on within their fleets?  What types of service were they dedicated to?  Was there evidence of this on the exterior of the car?  “When empty send to….” Stencils?  Which roads was this most in evidence?

The more I think I know, the less I do.

Thanks!

Elden Gatwood