Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] "Dedicated" freight car service

Bill Keene

Thank you Ben and Elden,

An appliance service car would be a good addition to the layout’s fleet. It appears that the X29D dates from 1953 which happens to me my modeling year. A quick search reveals that F&C has a kit for the X29D.  I guess my next step is to dive into some research to learn more about these cars. 

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Mar 10, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Ben is correct; post-55 cars, as-built never in CK P&L.  They did go all over the country with GE appliance loads.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Keene via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 1:43 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] "Dedicated" freight car service

Elden,

What is the rough date that the X29F box cars went into service? Would these have been in service during the circle keystone era? 

My knowledge of the PRR is quite limited thus this rather basic question.

Thanks & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Mar 10, 2020, at 7:18 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Gang;

This is a dedicated service PRR X29F in appliance service to GE, with STB load restraining equipment.  They were specially rebuilt from X29 u/f’s expressly for this purpose.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charles Peck
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 7:06 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] "Dedicated" freight car service

GE's Appliance Park in Louisville KY got a dedicated group of high-cube cars, not all from just one road.  Park opened in 1951.
Chuck Peck

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.