Re: Scratch building FGEX car sides.

Jim Hayes

Scott, sounds interesting. Can you share a copy of the handout or point me to where it can be found?

JimH

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 3:28 PM Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

I have always used .040” styrene for scratchbuilding freight cars. You can get Evergreen directly from their website:

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 3:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Scratch building FGEX car sides.

Some time ago Ted did a kitbash clinic and one of the cars was an FGEX reefer with unique steel sides and fishbelly floor.  I was going to take a swing at it as I am a reefer-aholic.  What is the common thickness styrene to use for the sides?  Unfortunately, my local Hobbytown closed so I either have to ebay it or do a pretty good drive to get some.  I would like to make one as a pattern then resin cast the two sides from there.  I have the Tichy ends, Intermountain car to harvest a roof and will order the Accurail 40ft fishbelly floor.  I got some FGEX decals from Ted at Chicago or Collinsville I am not sure which.  I did manage to get the last gallon container of real MEK my Lowes had.  I got some scribers from tamiya and UMM-USA and archer rivets since there are so many.  Should be pretty fun project.  I only have the two photos that are in Ted's presentation but the are nice side shots.

Thanks,
Scott McDonakd