Re: Help Identifying Boxcar Ends.

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Steve. You're right but I have ignored the treatment of the flat-bottom top major rib because EVERYONE in the hobby biz has ignored it (in HO scale) with one Accurail exception (I think; from memory). There are dozens and dozens of examples where that feature is missing from our models. :-(

-----Original Message-----

From: Goatfisher2@comcast.net
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: 2020-03-13 5:05:05 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Help Identifying Boxcar Ends.

**** SOME of the SP B-50-27 box cars had the earlier ends without the extra thin rib at the top. ****

**** I've enclosed two photos to show this - SP 100303 and 100441. Evidently the ends changed during the construction period. ****

SP 100303 has the IDN-2 end that to my knowledge has never been offered in model form - thin top rib with the bottom of the top rolling pin flattened.

SP 100441 has a version of the end I've never seen before - no top stiffener with a flat bottomed top rolling pin - another opportunity for a niche product!

The B-50-27 had a 10-0 IH body with 6' door and 10 panel sides - For that you will need the Intermountain 1937 AAR body (which has a blank space for the car end).

**** The GN 11000 series had the earlier ends. ****

GN 10' IH 12 panel cars with the IDN-1 end:

2525 - 2549 (3/1948)
10900 - 11199 (2/48)
11200 - 11374 (3/48)

GN 10' IH 12 panel cars with the IDN-2 end:

11375 - 11624 (6/48)
11625 - 11874 (6/48)
18000 - 18499 (6/49)
18500 - 19499 (9/49)