Re: Model: CB&Q "Bomber Boxcar"

james murrie

The B-26 and later B-29 assembly plant was the Martin factory on what is now Offutt AFB(previously Fort Crook) south of Bellevue NE.  The building was later made part of the base and called "Building C" when I was stationed there in the 1970s.  You could still see the floors made out of wooden blocks.  We used to go jogging on the lower floor (below ground level) in the winter.  They had also put in a bowling alley and a lot of other things including a "Sattelite Control Squadron" that officially controlled weather satellites for AF Global Weather Central. On the other hand, we also had a strategic reconnaissance wing.
The big end doors at the end of what had been the assembly line rolled out into the end of the runway.  One of the B-29s that dropped the atomic bomb was built there.  It was very close to the tracks that ran south out of Omaha. I believe the official station name was Fort Crook even in the 1970s.
Even though I was stationed at SAC HQ, I spent several nights in the building when I was tagged for Officer of the Day duty.

Jim Murrie